Monday, September 15, 2008

Ken's Bleacher Report Hockey Team: A Story Of Leaders and Young Guns


Taking part in the first annual Bleacher Report Fantasy hockey league was something I'd looked forward to since mention was first made of it in some of the almost daily chats I have with a couple of the top NHL writers.

To call the league a huge success so far is an understatement, as the writers involved have impressed me immensely with the maturity of trades and the willingness to be open about improving each others teams. I would easily have to say the closeness of the writers taking part in the league clearly shows through the constant trade contact and never ending roster analysis between managers.

Being a first time fantasy hockey player I determined I would take some chances. I ended up taking a couple I had planned on and two I am desperately hoping will pan out. For many readers, they will likely lose respect for me in my first deal of the trade. What is my reasoning? I would rather lose with men i believe in than lose with players I can't stand.

Ken's Roster:

Centers: Andy McDonald, Mike Modano, Steven Stamkos

Left Wings: Brenden Morrow, Sean Avery, Chris Kunitz

Right Wings: Corey Perry, Jere Lehtinen, Jared Boll

Defense: Mike Green, Scott Niedermayer, Derek Morris, Shane O'Brien

Utility: Simon Gagne

Bench: Teemu Selanne, Fabian Brunnstrom, Christian Ehrhoff, Loui Eriksson

Goal: Niklas Backstrom, Manny Legace

Originally, I took Penguin sensation Sidney Crosby with the second pick overall, but only for trade bait and immediately at the end of the trade dealt him for Alan Bass in exchange for the ultimate captain in Brenden Morrow.

When asked about the depth of the team head coach Brett Hull commented, "We have great talent in the crease, that’s not an issue we are worried about right now so early in the training camp season."

When asked about other moves on the horizon GM Ken Armer commented he was currently working on two deals, one possibly to bring in defenseman Matt Niskanen and one seeing fan favorite Sean Avery leave in exchange for Patrick Marleau.

In regards to the health of utility forward Simon Gagne, Armer commented "In all word from the Flyers and from Simon himself he is 100% healthy, based on that alone I'm willing to take a chance on him."

The other questionable player is Teemu Selanne, who still has yet to even decide on playing this season. "Teemu is nearly a point-a-game player, hes worth the risk and I have immense faith he will be back this year. According to news out of Anaheim he has been skating and working out, if he was retiring I don't see him choosing to work out let alone even being back in the United States."

For more news on the league itself be sure to check out Greg Caggiano's article highlighting his team and the league in general.

Comments welcome, but those regarding my lack of intelligence for keeping Crosby is useless and fill fall on deaf ears.

2 comments:

Big Dave said...

Wow, you should have let someone else have a team. You will finish in the bottom 3 if not dead last. It's ok though...any first time fantasy player picks the players of his favorite team. It is a losing strategy.

I have had Corey Perry in a keeper league although he is in my top 3 most hated player list.

Nobody is going to remember your nobility for picking character guys. They will remember you finishing last :)

MJ Kasprzak said...

I agree that there are some questionable picks, and not just because you loaded up on Dallas players. Ehrhoff doesn't score many points, and if fantasy hockey is anything like fantasy football, I would thnk you need scorers.